Star Reader reads
to our class. Choose any book that you have practiced and that you’d like to share with your class. Practice this book until you can read it fluently with little or no help. You
may read any book that you like except picture books (books without words).
1. On your day you will need to read a book to our class.
2. You need to practice the book until you can read it fluently.
3. Practice reading it outloud to a family member.
4. Be prepared for your turn.
Our Star Readers
Try the "The Five Finger Test"
Open the book to the middle. Choose a page full of words. Read the page out loud. Hold up a finger each time you come to a word you don’t know or understand. Start with your thumb.
1. If you’re holding up one finger (your thumb):
Thumbs up! You knew all but one word! This book will be pretty easy for you.
2. If you’re left holding up two fingers (thumb and first finger to make an “L”): “L” stands for learning. You might need some help, but it will be a good learning book for you.
3. If you’re left holding up three fingers (3 middle fingers to make a “W”): “W” is for Warning. You can read this book, but it is a warning that it might be frustrating and you may not enjoy it.
4 or 5. If you’re left holding up four, five, or more fingers: This is a STOP signal. This would be a good book to stop reading by yourself and start reading with a buddy. Find someone who can read this book with you and then look for another book you will enjoy by yourself.
Ask yourself these questions. If your answer is YES, the book is probably:
Too Easy if...
Have you read it lots of times before?
Do you understand the story very well?
Do you know almost every word?
Can you read it smoothly?
Just Right if...
Is the book new to you?
Do you understand a lot of the book?
Are there just a few words a page you don't know?
When you read, are some places smooth some choppy?
Too Hard if...
Are there more than 5 words on a page you don't know?
Are you confused about what is happening in most of this book?
When you read, does it sound pretty choppy?
Is everyone else busy and unable to help you?